Saturday, June 20, 2009

Albuquerque!

Well, it's been an interesting few weeks around here! Crazy busy with summer activities....VBS last week, kids' camp this week! I'm exhausted! In the meantime, we had an opportunity presented to us about church planting in Albuquerque. Chris and I have wanted to do this forever; we even considered it when Chris was finishing seminary, but it wasn't the right time. A missionary friend of ours is heading out there, and he was needing an associate planter. Chris and I prayed about it, and we feel like this is where God is moving us! Kind of scary....I didn't even know how to spell Albuquerque! I'm totally excited, though. It's going to be totally different from anything I've ever experienced, and we're planning to start a church unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's going to be hard and great and stressful and fun and all kinds of other stuff, and I'm pumped! We move mid-August. I have teaching committments here until then. I had to tell my boss that I couldn't take that comfy full time job this year, and that kind of stinks, but I just have to think God's got something even better for me in New Mexico!

We're heading out there in a little over a week to find a house and hopefully have some interviews lined up. Chris will be going back into nursing, so we've both put in some apps at a few places. Please pray that we'll find a house and jobs! Obviously, I'd love to teach, but I've applied for some other positions as well.

We've told Caleb. He was a little disappointed at first about not getting to be a Westside Warrior this fall, but he decided it would be cool to go to a "desert school." Of course, he also told me he wanted to see a camel when we move to the desert. Not that kind of desert! Maybe he'll settle for a lizard or something!

Please pray for us as we make this move that God would use us in a mighty way to impact the folks in Albuquerque. 80% of the population is unchurched there....they need Jesus!!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am glad Caleb is taking it so well! We will be praying for you as you minister there - for people to find a relationship with God through Christ!!

Michelle said...

Hey Julie--Congratulations on the new adventure! My mom is from Las Cruces, NM, so we have family all over that state. My cousin actually goes to school and lives in Albuquerque. i'm pretty sure he already has a church home, but what is the name of yall's new church?