Monday, August 07, 2006

Stiches

And I thought my black eye would be the highlight of the weekend! Caleb threw one of his little trains at me on Sat. morning and hit me on the edge of my eye. We have since handled the throwing the toys issue!

However, I was totally wrong to think that my injury would be the best.....we made our first ER trip with Caleb yesterday afternoon! We went with Chris's parents to Scurry (just outside of Kaufman) yesterday to see Chris's dad perform with his band. While they were setting up all their equipment, Caleb was being his normal self running around and playing, being silly like always. Well, he was running towards Chris and tripped. His forehead landed right on the corner of a pew. CRACK! It was a really loud, horrible sound. He, of course, was crying, and at the time I didn't know that he'd hit the corner. He came toward me, and I noticed his head was bleeding a little. I wiped at it to keep it out of his eyes, and here came the flood. We both had blood all over us. At this point, all my nursing training flew out the window! All I knew was that my baby was gushing blood and had this HUGE gash in his head. Chris was coherent enough, though, thankfully! We got it cleaned enough to see that it was way too wide and deep for steri strips. So, off we were to the ER. He now has 5 stiches in his forehead. Poor baby! He did pretty well at the hospital. He screamed while he got his stiches, probably more from being held down than anything else. Since we had ridden with Chris's parents, we had to go back to the church where they were playing. Caleb got TONS of sympathy there! Everyone just doted all over him! We took him to McDonald's for supper before heading home, and you'd never had known anything was wrong with him if it hadn't been for the bandage. (That McD's by the way had the best play place ever!) He's fine now. He just keeps picking at the bandage. So, we've survived our first ER incident. I'm just very thankful it wasn't worse.

So much for a peaceful weekend!

No comments: